Monday, October 7, 2013

Dragging myself to daily workouts

Before this mudrun business, I tried to maintain a relatively fit body through routine workouts, but I wouldn't really push it on a regular basis. I've been in sports and I have military experience, so I know what 'pushing it' feels like & how to do it, but I guess you could say that I've sort of been coasting these past few years. I would go to the gym & go through the normal motions, but I would only just be there- nothing too special or spectacular.

Now, with my self-imposed daily dose of brutality, I think I can say that I've been hitting the 'push it' category fairly regularly for the past month or so, and with that comes the daily struggle.

It's an exhausting & painful ordeal to do these mud-run prep workouts, and I'm not one of those fit-guru psychos who get off on torturing themselves. Keep in mind I'm not talking about people who really push themselves to be better & make strong efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle while staying positive and motivated, no, I'm talking about the intense, alpha-swag, P90X-is-for-pansies type psycho- whooping and hollering during their workouts while wearing a shirt that says "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY"

I'm all for confidence and being tough, but I think that quote is just stupid. If someone threw a glass jar full of angry bees at your head, that would more than likely result in a lot of pain which I doubt would have anything to do with weakness points magically leaving your body like we're playing a weird version of D&D or something.

Sorry, that one always bugged me.

What I was getting at, though, was the idea that it.... is.... haaaaarrrrrrrrd for me to muster the fortitude every day to do these workouts justice. My brain be all like, "Hey body, remember that really unpleasant thing we did yesterday?"

To which my body goes, "Unnngggggghhhhh......."

To which my brain replies, "Yeah! That one! We're going to do another one JUST like it in 10 minutes!! Yaaaaayyyyy!!!! AND we're going to do ANOTHER one TOMORROW!!! You're so lucky!!"

So far, I'm staying the course, & the thought of giving the cats the support they need to live safely and comfortably is what drives me in this project. Next to that inspiration, there's the whole idea that I already decided to tell a whole bunch of people (all yous guys) about this project, and that's that. I can't just go back and break my word, I would look like a buffoon!

I've been typing this blog and postponing my daily hurtin' for long enough, so with that, I leave you with a more reasonable and sensible workout motivation quote-thingy which isn't so aggressive and intense, and I'm off to run!




-Derek


No comments:

Post a Comment